Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday Nights Can Be Traumatizing.

Since Derek and I obviously live alone together, we have no parents to boss us around. No one tells us to stop doing one thing and start doing the next. No one tells us when to go to bed, or that we should probably eat something healthy for dinner. As a result, we end up indulging in a number of unhealthy things, completely unaware of what the outcome may be. Let me paint a lil' picture for ya.

Last night. Derek and I were burned out from our long week (as we usually are), so we decided to have dinner at home and catch up on Heroes.



(Our favorite character, as I am sure he is to many -- maybe its the Japanese thing, ha, but he reminds me a lot of Derek, I feel like Kelsy would agree). Anyways, we really wanted to finish Season 1, so we ended up watching 5 HOURS worth.

We felt pathetic (yet satisfied) at the end, so what do we do? Watch more T.V. We turned on the Food Network and they were showing a challenge called "Cereal Bridges". It was so awesome to see them make the Brooklyn Bridge, etc. out of cereal. So much that we decided to make some Muddy Buddies to eat while watching. We made a whole box worth and ate about half of it. No need to explain the bellyaches that ensued.

We went to bed to settle our stomachs and turned on the TV to help us get a little more tired. With no help to our stomachs (in a nice way) the next two ours would change our lives. First: we watched a documentary on the "Treeman". This was the story of a man who had a disease that had gotten so bad, his hands and legs had turned into this:



He had 6 lbs. of this fungus/wart on each hand/foot. Don't get me wrong, it was a very very sad story. But the doctor's were able to get rid of 90% of the warts, so that was good. I was in tears for this one.

I was in tears for the next one too. We ended up watching a SECOND documentary called "The Man with No Face":



I was deeply depressed after these two shows, really gives you some perspective on life. It was amazing that these two men had actually quite optimistic views on life. It is crazy that both of them live normal lives with bodies like this. I no longer have any need to complain. The only sad part about this one, was the guy was Jehovah's Witness and couldn't receive blood, so they could only remove small parts at at time (We never got to see that part)...

As you can see, Derek and I were pretty traumatized at the end of the night, getting to bed at about 12:30 - 1:00 a.m. (Pretty late for us, haha).

All I can say: Wow.

5 comments:

Ms Ashley said...

It's good to know other people watch entire seasons of shows too! My boyfriend and I watched an entire season of Lost in one weekend...

Thankfully, we didn't have to see the guy without a face after it though..

VievEGirL said...

And you have now left us traumatized, as well...

The Queen and the Princess said...

What channel were those documentaries on? I know it will be hard to watch but I find it interesting.

Jenny said...

I also got sucked into those two documentaries last night! I just couldn't stop watching.

sarah said...

i am watching it now.... its gross to look at but its so hard not to be watching it! its so addicting to watch!!!!:)) but i feel bad for him:(